15 Facts about Pollution
Toxic Gases from Industries cause air pollution.
Pollution is the introduction of contaminants into a natural environment that causes instability, disorder, harm or discomfort to the ecosystem i.e. physical systems or living organisms.
Here are some interesting facts about Pollution :
1. More than 15,000 people in the world die each day because of water pollution.
2. China is world's biggest emitter of carbon dioxide, followed by United States.
3. India is among countries worst affected with water pollution. This is because 80% of India's urban waste ends up in rivers such as Ganges.
4. Noise pollution is one of the most neglected forms of pollution despite causing huge environmental damage, especially in oceans.
5. For every one of the more than 7 billion people on earth, nearly four tons of carbon dioxide is spewed into the air annually.
6. Ocean acidification is one of the worst types of ocean pollution. Our oceans are becoming more and more acidic because greenhouse gas emissions from fossil fuels burning are constantly rising.
7. An estimated 14 billion pounds of trash, much of it plastic is dumped in the world’s oceans every year.
8. The cost of one nuclear weapons test alone could finance the installation of eighty thousand hand pumps, giving third world villages access to clean water.
9. Waste from livestock pollutes our water. When it rains, water runs over fields and pastures and can carry harmful bacteria from livestock waste to streams and provides unwanted fertilizer in streams.
Untreated Waste from Factories lead to water pollution.
10. More than 100 active pesticide ingredients are suspected of causing cancer, birth defects, and gene mutation.
11. Seventy-three different kinds of pesticides have been found in groundwater, which is potential drinking water.
12. There are about more than 500 million cars on the planet and by 2030 it is expected to double to 1 billion cars. More cars will mean even higher levels of air pollution.
13. Huge oil spills like the recent Gulf of Mexico oil spill are among the worst types of pollution on our planet, particularly because their negative effects last for very long time.
14. The quality water-filtering system is good way to protect yourself from water pollution as much as possible, especially multi-layered home water filtering system.
15. Homeowners use up to 10 times more toxic chemicals per acre than farmers.